From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2007 - 01:42:15 CDT

Hi,
  I'm forwarding your note to the author of the Contact Map plugin
in case he has suggestions on this. I believe I'm the one that
added the text comment to the source file about the buggy behavior,
and that this is why that functionality is not exposed to the graphical
interface, as I recall. Unless Barry (the author) has time to look
into this in the short-term, you might be better off using his script
as a "guide" and write your own implementation. I think a version that
just outputs the matrix to text would be far easier to write/debug than
the graphical version that Barry wrote, so this would be one reason to
develop your own script. It would likely be faster as well, and since
this is an O(N^2) type of computation (or O(NlogN) if you use an acceleration
data structure), I suspect you'd be much better off doing your own version
if you have big structures to process.