From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 11 2007 - 18:49:02 CDT

Rex,
  If you want higher surface resolution, I'd strongly suggest
that you try installing MSMS, as the VMD interface for MSMS
will allow you to increase the point density on the calculated
surface, and MSMS generally runs several times faster then Surf
does. You can get MSMS here:
  http://mgltools.scripps.edu/downloads

Let us know if you need help using MSMS with VMD.