From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2007 - 14:47:07 CST

Bob,
  Not yet, we are planning to make some significant revisions
to the graphical interfaces and text commands relating to
volumetric maps, and so at present they can only be added to a molecule
and will live there until the molecule is destroyed.
I had hoped that these changes would be done already for VMD 1.8.6,
but we are in the process of integrating initial multithreading and
GPU acceleration for volumetric map processing, and there isn't time
left to make all of the changes to the scripting interfaces for this version.
I know this limitation can be annoying, but it's easy to work around by
for the next version, along with various other volumetric map processing
capabilities.