From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2007 - 12:53:21 CST

Julien,
  I've reproduced your problem, and it is as I suspected, the isosurface
is ill-defined at an isovalue of zero. The isosurface extraction
code in VMD includes a safety check that prevents it from drawing triangles
where the interpolated vertex coordinate is calculated under conditions
leading to numerical instability. If I disable the safety checks
your surface will render without the holes, but other ill-defined datasets
could render badly or cause a runtime floating point exception due to
division by a value that's nearly zero. If you like I would be happy to
provide you with a binary that disables the safety check for the time being,
so that you can make your figures, while I see if I can implement the safety
check just slightly differently to allow you to get your surface even though
this specific case is definitely marginal at best. Try rendering the
isosurface for isovalues 0, 0.0001, and 0.000001 and you'll see how
small the volume gradient is at the outer edges of your box.