From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 15 2007 - 13:05:37 CST

Hi Chris,
  Sorry for the slow reply, I've been out sick most of this week
and I'm just now catching up on emails. The method for setting
the environment variables depends on what operating system and
command shell you're using. I'm assuming you're running one of the
Unix versions of VMD. If so, you can set the window position/size
variables like this for /bin/csh:
  setenv VMDSCRPOS "596 190"
  setenv VMDSCRSIZE "669 834"

For /bin/sh or /bin/bash, etc:
  VMDSCRPOS="596 190"
  export VMDSCRPOS
  VMDSCRSIZE="669 834"
  export VMDSCRSIZE

For other shells, you'll have to read the man pages for that shell
and learn how to set environment variables with the appropriate syntax.