From: wolfinbm_at_uci.edu
Date: Thu Feb 08 2007 - 16:09:52 CST

Hello
I am having extreme difficulty doing what are seemingly the most basic
things in VMD. For example, I have two PET molecules that I have moved to
start the membrane. It seems that I should just be able to save the state
and save all the work I have done. But this is not how it works. When I
go to re-load, the coordinates are not saved (yes I sent a message to this
effect before, but the only responses I got seemed extremely cryptic, much
like everything else I try to do in VMD). I am not trying to be rude or
insult the programmers of VMD (it seems like a very powerful program if
one can get it to work!), but I really do need some help. I have have
spent dozens (or maybe hundreds) of hours trying to do what are
intuitively very simple things (i.e., making a polymer from a monomer, and
saving multiple molecules) and gotten absolutely nowhere. I would just
give up and say it's my stupidity, but I've had no problem with many other
challenging endeavors (I managed an 800 [highest score] on the GRE math,
680 on the verbal, and 740 on the physics, and I am a senior physics
major). Could someone please give me some pointers, outside of "read the
tutorials?"

Any help is sincerely and greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
   Matt Wolfinbarger