From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2006 - 14:15:00 CST

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Margaret S. Cheung wrote:

MC> Dear VMD developers,
MC>
MC> I am installing VMD 1.8.5 linux OpenGL to Fedora Core 5.

margaret,

there are some linux specific remarks in the release notes
for version 1.8.5. please check them out, too.

MC> After I did "configure" and then "src/make install", the vmd did not
MC> give me error messages.
MC> However, when I execute /usr/bin/vmd, then it flashed on the screen. The
MC> terminal showed a message like
MC>
MC> root_at_leela src]# Warning: Tried to connect to session manager,
MC> Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
MC> specified are supported and host-based authentication failed

there is no reason to run VMD as root! generally, running any program
as root should be avoided as much as possible.

depending on how you opened the root shell, you may not have access
to the X11 session (especially if your home directory is NFS mounted)
and thus not be able to start an xterm.

please try from a normal terminal and in textmode and if you still
have problems, report the info as outlined in the linux specific
release notes.

thanks,
   axel.

p.s.: there is also a 'native' fedora core 5 rpm (32-bit only, though)
in the contributed files section that should have the all required
dependencies coded, so that if you can install it without additional
force, that it should work.