From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2006 - 14:14:33 CST

Samuel,
  VMD is reasonably accepting of unusual atom names/types, but much depends
on whether you're loading structures from a file format that also provides
atomic element symbols, since many forcefields use different atom naming
schemes and VMD doesn't presently automatically deduce which forcefield
or program the atom names are intended for. If you have a PDB with the
atomic element symbol field populated, VMD will let you color by element
and will assign radii, mass, charges appropriately based on the element
information when available.
As for what names are acceptable in AutoDock and GROMACS, you
can probably find that out by looking at their documentation, unless
someone on VMD-L happens to know off the top of their head.