From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2006 - 11:13:05 CST

Another way to learn what commands are equivalent to interactive
operations in the GUI is to use the command:
  logfile console

This will start logging commands to the text console until you
type the command:
  logfile off

You can use these as a shortcut to see what VMD is doing when you're
in a hurry and don't really want to read the manual. Not all commands
are logged, but the majority are.