From: Rob (spamrefuse_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2006 - 05:45:15 CDT

--- John Stone <johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
> Yes, you can recompile your VASP plugins
> separately from everything else.

John,

No, I don't think I can. I want to state again
that I use the PRECOMPILED vmd 1.8.5 for Linux.

It appears that the (vasp)plugins are already
embedded into the executable, so that the .so
files are redundant. I verified this by:
1) deleting all vasp*.so files from the installation
   directory, though I still can load VASP files.
2) hex-viewing of the executable "vmd_LINUX" shows
   lines that refer to the vasp plugins.

Hence, compiling and installing the vasp plugins
separately, is of no use. Am I right here?

Actually, I helped Sung Sakong with improving the
last version of the vasp plugins; so I indeed could
help out here and test, if I don't have to recompile
the whole VMD package.

Hence, I still keep using 1.8.4 with my own updated
version of the vasp plugins.

Regards,
Rob.