From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2006 - 14:27:46 CDT

Hi Ignacio,
  At present, there's a "trick". While we just barely had time to get
the dynamic bond recalculation code added for VMD 1.8.5 (a patch submitted
by Justin actually), there's presently not a way to set this mode in
the graphical interface. The way it is currently set is by an additional
representation parameter that specifies the distance cutoff to use, similar
to how the existing DynamicBonds rep is implemented:

Default drawing styles for mol 0, rep 0, No dynamic update:
   mol modstyle 0 0 Lines 1.0
   mol modstyle 0 0 CPK 1.0 0.3 8.0 6.0
   mol modstyle 0 0 Licorice 0.3 10.0 10.0

Dynamic update, cutoff distance of 1.6 (last parameter to each of these reps):
   mol modstyle 0 0 Lines 1.0 1.6
   mol modstyle 0 0 CPK 1.0 0.3 8.0 6.0 1.6
   mol modstyle 0 0 Licorice 0.3 10.0 10.0 1.6

Since there's not a GUI for this yet, I've written up a short Tcl
script that you can use to set all of the new dynamic-capable reps
to a cutoff of your choosing. To use the script, you run the command
(default cutoff of 1.6):
  setrepsdynamic 1.6

I've attached the script to this email. Let me know if you need help
using this feature.

The next rev of VMD should expose this in the graphical interface.
I may also change the behavior the text commands, but for now this is a
short-term method of using this feature more easily...