From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2006 - 11:16:21 CDT

Vlad,
  Even if you hack the PDB plugin to avoid writing out the chain
identifier, other programs may not be able to read the resulting
file since many depend on the strictest adherance to the PDB file
format specification. The PDB plugin supports reading of various
illegally formatted PDB files as a result of many MD packages writing
such files for macromolecules with more than 99,999 atoms and thousands
of waters, for example. Readding such files into other packages
is hit and miss, and you can't blame them for not reading them since
they do indeed violate the PDB format spec. The strategy that
the PDB plugin is employing once it runs out of the 9999 legal
residue number limit, is to begin emitting hexadecimal numbers.
When we exhaust the limit of hexadecimanl numbers, then we begin
printing asterisks for the residue numbers e.g. "****". If you want
to alter the behavior of the PDB plugin with regard to these
out-of-spec files, you can simply change the readpdb.h code and
modify the write_raw_pdb_record() routine therein, increase the
plugin version number, recompile, and then load into your VMD and
you can have it do anything you like. If Leap has an alternative
way of dealing with PDB files containing > 9999 residues, let me know...