From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 28 2006 - 05:46:21 CDT

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, Zhenyu Yang wrote:

ZY> Dear VMD users
ZY>
ZY> If I have the atom coordinate file and the stress file
ZY> how to color the atoms according to stress.
ZY> All the output files are dumped in LAMMPS.

the general procedure to color atoms by a property that is not
directly supported by VMD, is to read the data yourself and
store it in the 'user' field and then use the 'User' coloring
method. please see:

http://www.theochem.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/~axel.kohlmeyer/cpmd-vmd/part3.html#chap5_sect3
and
http://www.theochem.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/~axel.kohlmeyer/cpmd-vmd/part3.html#chap5_sect4

in the first case the user data is directly calculated from the
trajectory and stored in the user field. in the second it is read
from a file but used to dynamically change a non per-frame property.
now if you would implement a reader as in the second example
and then store the data into the user field as in the first example,
should get what you desire.

happy VMDing,
    axel.