From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 27 2006 - 19:53:00 CDT

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, Brett Pemberton wrote:

BP> John,

brett,

BP> The situation (as it has been explained to me by the VMD user) is that
BP> he wishes to use vmd to interact with a namd job running on our cluster.
BP> Since the compute nodes aren't accessible to his PC, he must ssh to the
BP> head node of the cluster, and run VMD there, where it can talk to the
BP> namd job.

not necessarily. you could also tunnel the IMD (=interactive MD)
connection through an ssh tunnel (there should be a tutorial for
IMD somewhere on the VMD homepage that should you get you started
and then you only need to know the port to forward to the cluster).
that connection should be comparatively low throughput compared
to the graphics and you (or your 'customer') has the additional
benefit of getting the full acceleration of the graphics card.

the GLX transport layer on linux is not very reliable and
tunneling this through ssh is (currently) asking for trouble.
in the rare cases where it worked for me, i had to have the
_same_ (i.e. identical to the version number) driver on both
sides.

cheers,
   axel.