From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 27 2006 - 17:15:03 CDT

Hi,
  In general it's not usually a good idea to run VMD through SSH,
as the graphics performance will be terrible (independent of the
other problems you're having). If you want to run remotely, I'd
recommend using a normal X connection instead of tunnelling through
ssh, if you care about speed and must display remotely. In the specific
situation you've got, VMD should be detecting the ATI driver on
the remote display and automatically limiting itself to prevent
problems due to bugs in the ATI driver, but it's possible that
this isn't happening for some reason. Can you send me the startup
messages you get from VMD when it remote displays to the ATI box?
If you're using the MESA ATI driver on the ATI box, that may be
the source of trouble, but I should be able to tell from your
startup messages what's going on there.

Thanks,