From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2006 - 11:13:26 CDT

Hi,
  Yes, the order of atoms matters. The order of the atoms in your two
selections must be the same in order for any of measure commands that
do things like rmsd, rmsd, rms fitting, etc. If the order of the atoms
isn't consistent, you'll get nonsense results. You can give VMD an
extra "order" parameter which reorders the second selection if you
need to match up atom selections from fairly dissimilar structures.