From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2006 - 13:29:44 CDT

Hi,
  You could make this script much much faster in two ways:

1) In cases (like this one) where you are not actually changing
   which atoms are selected as you go along but just looping over
   the frames to get coordinates, it is MUCH MUCH faster to create
   the atom selection outside the loop, and then use "$sel frame $i"
   to update the active frame for the selection, rather than creating
   a new selection for each loop iteration.

2) The new versions of VMD (the released VMD 1.8.4, and later)
   have a new command "measure avpos" which does 90% of what the
   second half of your script does, but in compiled C, so it is
   very fast. You'd still need to the script version if you're using
   an older version of VMD, but for the new versions of VMD, the
   "measure avpos" is the best way to do this. It can operate over
   a specified frame range as well.