From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed May 24 2006 - 13:04:16 CDT

Kurt,
  At the present time there's no way to extend the file extension
associations in VMD except by recompiling the plugin(s) for which you
want to add a new recognized extension. (the plugins register the
extensions that they recognize when they are loaded...)
We could probably add a method for doing this however.

Perhaps a more flexible solution would be to call a Tcl/Python callback
when an unrecognized file is presented.

  John