From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue May 16 2006 - 10:47:03 CDT

Hi,
  When I use the Eye3D emitter on Linux, I don't have to create any
special X configuration or used an interlaced video mode. The scanline
interleaved stereo mode in VMD works by drawing the left/right images
in the even/odd (or vice versa) scanlines on the CRT. This works with
the Eye3D 4-in-1 emitter, which has what they call a "line blanking"
stereo mode. The line blanking stereo mode doesn't depend on using
interlaced video, so if you have the 4-in-1 emitter, it shouldn't
be necessary to mess with the video mode, you just need the stencil
buffer to work. Since you have an ATI card, VMD is disabling some
of the OpenGL features to prevent potential problems with buggy
ATI Linux drivers (both open source, and the ATI-provided ones...)
This safety feature may be interfering with your ability to use
the scanline interleaved stereo mode. Try doing this before you
run VMD and see if you get different results (csh syntax):
  setenv VMDDISABLEATILINUXWORKAROUND 1

This enables the full VMD OpenGL feature set despite the detection
of the ATI video card. (e.g. no safety net, better hope you have
a non-buggy ATI driver...)

Try that and let me know what happens.