From: Peter Freddolino (petefred_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 16 2006 - 17:23:42 CDT

Dear Rima,
this is usually best done using catdcd
(http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Development/MDTools/catdcd/), which lets you
either split the dcd file into subparts or write only certain frames or
atoms from it. For the record, you're probably running your computer out
of memory; if you have a machine with enough memory VMD can open much
larger dcd files.

There are examples of catdcd usage on the linked page; please let me
know if you have trouble.
Best,
Peter