From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 26 2006 - 14:03:29 CST

Hi guys,
  There's also a new "mol default" command that you can use for
this purpose in the test versions of VMD 1.8.4. Here's an example
of how you'd use it in your .vmdrc file:
  mol default color {colorID 5}
  mol default style {NewCartoon 0.300000 6.000000 4.100000 0}
  mol default selection {name CA}
  mol default material {Transparent}

Enjoy,