From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 24 2006 - 15:26:18 CST

Hi,
  The PDB format doesn't allow more than 99,999 atoms due to the 5 character
atom index field width. As such, VMD and the various structure building
plugins built on top of it honor the field width limitation but stop emitting
valid index numbers since these are ignored by NAMD and several of the other
simulation packages anyway. Any package that accepts PDB files containing
more than 99,999 atoms has to be prepared for unusual content since this
exceeds the design of the file format.