From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 20 2006 - 15:02:37 CST

Lubos,
  A few notes about this. Make sure you don't have any bizarre atom names
that are confusing VMD, as the 'measure hbonds' code depends on correct
identification of the atom names currently. A quick test for this is to
display just the hydrogens with the selection "hydrogen" and make sure you're
getting what you expect.

The order of $selection1 and $selection2 matters. If you provide both,
then $selection2 is treated as the list of acceptor candidates.
When using 'measure hbonds', you should avoid having the same atom listed
in both the $selection1 and $selection2 parameters if you desire to have
reliable results, there's a warning about this in the manual as you've
already noted.

I didn't write this particular routine and haven't had time to analyze it
closely, but just taking the source code and documentation comments at
face value this may explain the results you're getting.

Here's the doc page that describes this briefly if anyone's curious:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.8.4/ug/node122.html#6866

  John Stone