From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 17 2006 - 10:06:26 CST

James,
  Are you running VMD 1.8.3 on that machine? If so, then you'll find
that VMD 1.8.4 does a MUCH better job with loading huge numbers of molecules.
(It was during the early phase of developing VMD 1.8.4 that I loaded 30K
 molecules at once, and I had to rewrite a bunch of code to make the load
 time acceptable)
I still have a few things that need tuning in this area of VMD but the
beta versions of VMD 1.8.4 are already substantially faster at this than
VMD 1.8.3 was.

Thanks,