From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 04 2006 - 18:24:15 CST

Hi,
  At present VMD doesn't read or store velocity information from the
trajectory file formats it supports. This means that the only velocity
data you'd have to work with would have to be read in by your own script
from some external file of some sort. The details will depend greatly
on what software your reading simulation results from, and so it would
be helpful if you described that more fully. In principle you'd save
the scalar velocity value for each atom in the "User" field for that
atom for each timestep in your trajectory, and then you'd use the
color by "User" method to display the structure colored by velocity.