From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_vitae.cmm.upenn.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 02 2006 - 16:12:46 CST

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 sheldonp_at_sas.upenn.edu wrote:

> Hello,

sheldon,

> Would anyone be able to let me know how to change the default secondary
> structure colors permanently by modifying the vmd.rc script? Thanks.

this may become somewhat tricky for loading molecules from the
commandline, since vmd.rc (or .vmdrc on *nix) is read and executed
pretty late in the game. you may want to try the method described at:
http://www.theochem.rub.de/~axel.kohlmeyer/cpmd-vmd/part7.html#chap9_sect3

or just create the visualization you want and then save it via
"Save State..." and then modify that script to load a different
file and the load the state file via "Load State..."

the 'magic' is in the generated procedure 'vmdrestoremycolors',
so if you hack that procedure, you can get almost all color
hacks that you want.

note that you are currently always limited to a 16 color palette
for all non-colormapped colors...

regards,
      axel.

> --Sheldon

Axel Kohlmeyer e-mail: akohlmey_at_cmm.upenn.edu, tel: ++1-215-898-1582
     Center for Molecular Modeling -- University of Pennsylvania