From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 19 2005 - 17:13:10 CST

Vlad,
  I don't have grace 5.99 here, but try this:
edit the file /usr/local/lib/vmd/scripts/vmd/graphlabels.tcl
and change the line:
    set rc [catch {exec xmgrace -pipe << $input &} msg]
    set rc [catch {exec xmgrace -dpipe 0 << $input &} msg]

There's also that "-source" option, but maybe you won't need that.
Give that a try and let me know if it fixes the problem for you
or not.