From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 09 2005 - 09:49:22 CST

Hi,
  Most likely a shared library is missing or there's something amiss
with your OpenGL libraries. Try doing these steps:
  csh
  source /usr/local/bin/vmd (will start and terminate just as before)
  /usr/local/lib/vmd/vmd_LINUX

You should get an error message after that last step indicating what's wrong.
You might also do this, to see if any shared libs are missing on your system:
  ldd /usr/local/lib/vmd/vmd_LINUX