From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 14:07:23 CST

Hi,
  You'll need to install the libstdc++.so.5 library on your system in order
to run the pre-compiled VMD binaries. Some distributions (Red Hat) find
everything they need in libstdc++.so.6, others link against version 5.
I'm hoping to eliminate this issue for the released binaries of VMD 1.8.4,
but I still encounter this sort of thing on several non-RedHat
Linux distributions. In the mean time, it should be possible for you to get
the libstdc++.so.5 for your system and install it.