From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 30 2005 - 10:15:45 CST

Hi,
  I believe that the newest versions of MSMS have dropped support for the
"all" option. VMD is the only program that ever used this feature of MSMS,
and it was never available throught the file-based MSMS interface apparently.
As such, I've been planning on removing the "all" control from VMD in the
short term. I could possibly emulate the behavior MSMS used to provide with
the "all" option by sending MSMS all atoms, and then removing all surface
elements that correspond to unselected atoms before the surface is
generated by VMD. If I went through the trouble of writing such code, it
could potentially be made to work for both MSMS and for Surf, and possibly
with the new VolMap tool or other surface data. If you really need to use
the "all" option in the short term, you'll need to use an older MSMS binary
to get that feature. Another way to do this would be to run MSMS manually
producing .vert and .face files and post-process them with a program/script
to do what I describe above, eliminated facets that correspond to atoms
that aren't selected. That's something you could do with a Tcl script if
you really want it badly enough. I don't think I'll have time to work on
implementing an emulation of the old MSMS "all" feature for a while yet,
but I hope this explanation helps you out in the mean time.