From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 15:01:02 CST

Hi,
  DCD files cannot be concatenated with simple shell commands because
they contain a file header at the the beginning. You could conceivably
truncate the front end of the file using 'dd' or something, and then
concatenate them, but using 'catdcd' is the right way to do this.
At present VMD doesn't provide a means to append frames to existing
trajectory files, it can only create new files from scratch from the
trajectory timesteps that are resident in memory, so for your purposes
'catdcd' is the right tool for the job.