From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 08 2005 - 14:08:01 CST

Bram,
  If you're running with separate projectors for each eye, then I'm
almost certain you're experiencing a race condition. I've seen it before
on setups using different versions of CAVElib from the one that VMD is
built against. If it's reliably reproducing the problem each time, it
could be that the slave renderer is "winning" the race every time and
the init code that sets up the lighting parameters is leaving the slave
renderer uninitialized. I've never figured out what causes this as the
problem doesn't occur with the CAVElib VMD is compiled against here,
but the version that was used here at NCSA is quite out of date now.
If disabling lighting gives you visible geometry on the other wall(s),
then I'm almost certain the slave renderer is working with bad initial
OpenGL state. Which rev of VMD are you running on this CAVE by the way?

Thanks,