From: Craig Maloney (cmaloney_at_kitp.ucsb.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 26 2005 - 13:46:38 CDT

Hi all.

I was wondering if there is any documentation about the core API of
VMD. What I'd like to be able to do is specify things like bond
colors/thicknesses and atomic colors/radii a la carte (not really
doing bio-molecules... I'm doing things more like granular materials
where the particle radii may vary continuously) and it doesn't seem
like this kind functionality is exposed in the tcl/python API. Can
these kinds of things be done using VMD? Or is there not very much
layered on top of the raw openGL stuff?

Barring that, does anyone know of some kind of lower-level "ball and
stick" type package?

Thanks,
Craig