From: Luis Rosales (ludwig_at_correo.biomedicas.unam.mx)
Date: Wed Oct 19 2005 - 20:50:46 CDT

Hi all!!

I am trying to make a joystick work with VMD on Linux...
So far I am sure that the joystick is working and made a test with "jstest",
the device is recognized:

jstest /dev/input/js0
Joystick (Saitek ST200 Stick) has 3 axes and 4 buttons. Driver version is 2.1.0.
Testing ... (interrupt to exit)
Axes: 0:-32767 1:-32767 2: -7770 Buttons: 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:off

I understand that I nned to use VRPN, so after a loooong struggle with vrpn I
was able to compile it. So I have the vrpn_server running:

vrpn_server -millisleep 1 -f vrpn.cfg

the vrpn.cfg was configured so that:

vrpn_Joylin Joylin0 /dev/input/js0

and the .vmdsensors:

device vrpntracker vrpntracker://local//dev/input/js0

So, I run vmd and try to enable the tool, but I got the following message:

vmd > vrpn_connect_udp_port: error finding host by name (local).
vrpn_udp_request_lob_packet: send() failed: Bad file descriptor
vrpn_Connection: Can't lob UDP request
Warning) Tool: lost connection to tracker vrpntracker

Any ideas on what I am missing/doing wrong here???
I revised the vmd-l and found a couple of similar questions in the past,
sadly, none of them had a reply. :(

As usual, tahnks for your support,

Ludwig

Biol. Luis Rosales León
Departamento de Biología Molecular y Biotecnología
Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas.
Universidad Nacional Autonoma de México
AP 70228, Cd. Universitaria
México, D.F. 04510
Tel: 56223873