From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 12 2005 - 17:03:56 CDT

Hi,
  VMD doesn't have any built-in symmetry handling code. It only includes
the ability to perform matrix transformations on the atom coordinates.
While this is general enough to do what you are probably wanting to do,
it doesn't provide a usable way to operate using symmetry records in the
PDB for example. If someone knows of scripts or libraries that can
emit the appropriate transformation matrices for a given set of symmetry
operators, that'd be very useful in adding such a feature or a plugin
for this specific purpose.

  John