From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 07 2005 - 11:33:09 CDT

Hi,
  There's no built-in way for VMD to access remote files other than
structures that reside in the main PDB repository. If these files can
be downloaded via HTTP, it would be relatively simple to write a Tcl script
that does this however. Yes, you can run VMD with no graphics. Just
execute VMD with this command:
  vmd -dispdev text

If you want to run VMD in a batch mode, you can do that as well by
redirecting stdin/stdout and running it in the background. These startup
commands are documented in the VMD User's Guide.