From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 17 2005 - 14:39:51 CDT

Hi,
  I've briefly looked at writing a DSSP interface for VMD but parsing the
not-well-documented output format doesn't look fun so I haven't gone forward
with it. In principal you can do this with a Tcl script, you just have to
parse the DSSP output and extract the per residue SS assignment that DSSP
calculates, and assign it to the structure using the 'atomselect set'
commands. If anyone has a short cleanly written piece of Tcl, Python, or
C code to read DSSP output I can look at, I'd consider integrating a DSSP
interface into VMD. I just don't have time to start on this from scratch
while I'm juggling 10 other balls presently.

Thanks,