From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 12 2005 - 17:49:35 CDT

Brian,
  Your best bet is to double check what version of NetPBM (and thus ppmtompeg)
you have installed on your machine. I know that the NetPBM project
alternately broke and fixed the ppmtompeg subprogram during various releases
in the last few years. It could be that the version you've got is emitting
an MPEG stream that your installed MPEG codec is unwilling to play.
You may need to double check and make sure that you didn't encode the
movie at a high resolution that's beyond the normal MPEG-1 legal size.
Try encoding a movie from a VMD window that's around 320x240 and see
if that one will play within PowerPoint. If not, then another option
would be to encode your raw frames using a different program. You can
uncheck the "delete image frames" option in the VMD movie maker plugin,
and this will leave all of the raw PPM, Targa, etc, so that you can
encode them manually with the program of your choice. Soon I hope to
add support for the new versions of 'ffmpeg' and 'mencoder' as options
within the movie plugin. This should give people several more video
encoding packages to choose from and many more video format and
frame rate options than are presently available.