From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 21 2005 - 15:52:39 CDT

Hi,
  At present there's no way to create additional color categories from
the scripting interfaces in VMD. If you want to override colors, one
way to accomplish this despite the fixed set of color categories is to
use multiple representations to draw the structure, in which case you can
manually assign the color using the ColorID coloring method. Since the
reps are all superimposed in the same space, this is one way to get what
you want.