From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 07 2005 - 13:01:43 CDT

Hi,
  I've been getting an increasing number of people reporting
that they are having trouble installing VMD on Windows XP,
and the symptom of the error is that the Winzip self-extractin
installer we use fails to run, or the subsequent InstallShield
installer doesn't complete. I believe I've tracked down the
most likely cause of this problem by digging through Microsoft's
web site and doing a little google work.
The source of the problem is missing or corrupt Windows system files.
For anyone that gets the "16 bit subsystem" errors when installing
VMD on Windows XP, please have a look at this Microsoft support web
site which describes how to fix your computer when installers fail to run:
  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767