From: Marc Q. Ma (qma_at_oak.njit.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2005 - 11:45:36 CST

Hi Margaret,

My understanding on PBC is as follows, which partially answers your
question -- which I do not understand fully -- and please clarify your
questions:

 From computation point of view, PBC is just a means to allow fast
electrostatics calculation in MD simulations, such as PME or P3ME or
MultiGrid summation. For the biomolecular systems such as solvated
proteins, the replicated identical images are not phyiscal. For
crystals it might be a different story. Also, for systems that charges
are not balanced, or with charged particles going out of one side of
unitcell and enter from the other side, PBC may have some problems,
too.

Best,

Marc