From: Luis Rosales (ludwig_at_correo.biomedicas.unam.mx)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 21:36:03 CST

Hi all,

I am trying to configure the tracker for our VR auditorium. We dont have VRPN,
but we have CAVElib. As a tracking system we have the infamous Intersense-900
with the head tracking system and the wand (5 buttons + joystick).
o I have started vmd (vmd 1.8.3b4 on a SGI onyx) with the -caveforms option
and the default vmdsensors file:

device cavetracker cavetracker://local/cave
scale 1.0
offset 0.9 -4.0 -1.0
device cavebuttons cavebuttons://local/cave:0,1,2,3

I also created a "grab tool" with the tools form.

My problem is that from what I have seen, VMD is responding to the movement of
the head sensor as it would expected for the wand (head movement rotates/moves
the molecule around), while the wand seems to change the "angle/point of view"

I have modified the .vmdsensors/.caverc without any success....
So I have a couple of questions:

1. I have read the relevant section of the manual, but I still dont have clear
the role of the different parts of the USL format, like:

   is the name expected to be a generic one as in //local/cave or it can be
more specific like in //local/IS900 or //local/trackd?

   the number of nums in the cavebuttons is equal to the number of buttons on
the the tracker?

If any of you have info about a more detailed reference to the USL format, it
would be really appreciated!!

2. If VMD is really loading the tracking system "upside-down", maybe I need to
look in other configuration files different from the .vmdsensors and the .caverc?

I did a search on the vmd-l archive, I was unable to find an answer to my
problem, but I found that several people had used the IS900 system before, I
would like to know if some of you have found this problem before...

As usual, thanks in advance for your help and time.

Luis