From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 19:48:40 CST

Edward,
  The restricted selection basically only allows atoms that are in
the restricted set to contribute to the calculated surface area.

I did the same test on my machine here on the PDB structure '1e79'
and I get results which are much closer, within a couple units of
surface area actually:

vmd > measure sasa 1.4 $protein -restrict $sidechain
100399.398438
vmd > measure sasa 1.4 $protein -restrict $backbone
32826.3398438

Sum of sidechain + backbone:
133225.7382818

vmd > measure sasa 1.4 $protein
133224.015625

"protein" minus sum of "sidechain" and "backbone":
1.7226568

I'm not sure why there's an 8% difference in your test case, but
here's something that may help clarify what you're getting.
The easiest thing to do in order to see what's being counted
and what isn't, is to use the -points option to store the generated
area sample points in a list, which can then be rendered using the
VMD draw commands:
  set sel [atomselect top all]
  set surf [atomselect top "sidechain"]
  set sasa [measure sasa 1.4 $sel -points pts -samples 50 -restrict $surf]
  puts "The SASA is $sasa"
  foreach pt $pts {
    draw point $pt radius 0.5
  }

That should make it much easier to visualize what is being included
and what is not.

  John