From: Jan Saam (saam_at_charite.de)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2005 - 00:01:29 CST

Paul,

I'm not sure, if I di understand you correctly, but I think the answer
is quite easy:
If you have an atomselection $sel then you can retrieve the indexes
either with
set myindexes [$sel list]
or
set myindexes [$sel get index]

if you want them for a specific residue than you have to select
something like this:

set psiindexes [atomselect top "protein and resid 5 and name N CA"]
set phiindexes [atomselect top "protein and resid 5 and name CA C"]

Note that vmd outputs the indexxes in ascending order, not in the order
you typed the atom names. If you need to identify individual indexes
with atom names you have to select single atoms.

Regards,
                Jan