From: Axel Kohlmeyer (axel.kohlmeyer_at_theochem.ruhr-uni-bochum.de)
Date: Tue Dec 28 2004 - 10:14:27 CST

>>> "DB" == dieter blaas <dieter.blaas_at_univie.ac.at> writes:

DB> Thanx, Axel,
DB> I had acidentially deleted the H:/temp directory which was defined as
DB> environment variable. After I created it again, VMD made surfaces of
DB> small molecules without trouble. However, when I try to render the
DB> surface of the virus with roughly 400 000 coordinates I receive the
DB> message: "surf_WIN32.exe has caused an error and will be closed.
DB> Restart the program". I have about 10 GB free space on the H:\temp.
DB> Win2k, AMD 1800, 512 MB RAM. Is this not sufficient? How could I
DB> proceed?
DB> Thanx for hints, Dieter

dieter,

well, i don't know the exact limits of the surf program,
but for calculating and displaying the surface, you should
not need the 'internal' atoms.
so i would try to use the surface visualization only
on a selection of 'outside' atoms.

e.g. by identifying an atom in the center and then
using a selection like 'not within xx.x of index yy'
for the surface visualization. at that scale perhaps
also a VDW visualization with a slightly increased
radius could work well enough.

axel.