From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 11 2004 - 10:57:55 CST

Hi,
  This is somewhat tricky, as the method depends on whether you're
using a version of the XYZ plugin that converts the periodic element
numbers into atom name strings or not. Assuming you are (the newest
versions do), then you can specify a "name" atom selections and
draw the specifically colored atoms with with their own representations,
which works with any version of VMD. If you're using an old XYZ plugin,
the "names" might actually be the integer element numbers.

If you don't want to manually set the color but rather want the specific
atoms to get a specific color by default, you can set them in the color
window (Main->Graphics->Colors). Highlight "Name", then the atom name
of interest, then the color you want to assign it.

If that still isn't what you're looking for, let me know.