From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 15:20:48 CDT

Luis,
  Thanks for the feedback, I hadn't seen the issue you encountered
with the ribbons, that's good to know about. I'll see if I can
figure out why POV is upset about that, it might be something trivial.
Regarding the gradient issue you mentioned:
  - color gradients are lost in POV-Ray because they don't have
    a way to draw vertex-interpolated colors (as far as I know)
  - for Tachyon, I ended up writing special rendering code so that
    Tachyon could render color-per-vertex triangles.
    Very few ray tracing packages bother to implement color-per-vertex
    triangles or polygon primitives, this is something that hardware
    accelerators do, but most ray tracing packages make heavy use of
    curved geometry and texture maps for complex scenes.
    This is one of those annoying problems one encounters rendering
    purely polygonal data with ray tracing software.

If anyone knows of a way to convince POV to output color-per-vertex
triangles, I'd love to hear about it since it'd probably be easy to
change VMD's POV export code to use it.