From: Axel Kohlmeyer (axel.kohlmeyer_at_theochem.ruhr-uni-bochum.de)
Date: Fri Oct 08 2004 - 02:17:34 CDT

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Luis Rosales wrote:

LR> Hi:
LR>
LR> Sometime ago I customized my respectives .vmdrc and vmd.rc files, however I
LR> have been unable to find how to change the default values for:
LR>
LR> Initial VMD console position
LR> Initial display window position
LR> Initial display window size
LR>
LR> Any clues about how this can be defined on the starup file?

hi,
i don't know about windows, but on unix/linux machines these
options are set via environment variables in the vmd command
(which is a shell script). here is an example from my machine:

# set a default window position, where x is 0 at the left side of the
screen
# and y is 0 at the bottom of the screen.
if ($?VMDSCRPOS == "0") then
  setenv VMDSCRPOS "300 100"
endif

# set a default window size.
if ($?VMDSCRSIZE == "0") then
  setenv VMDSCRSIZE "540 720"
endif

# set a default screen height
if ($?VMDSCRHEIGHT == "0") then
  setenv VMDSCRHEIGHT 6.0
endif

# set a default screen distance
if ($?VMDSCRDIST == "0") then
  setenv VMDSCRDIST -2.0
endif

# set the default behavior for enable/disable of the VMD title screen
if ($?VMDTITLE == "0") then
  setenv VMDTITLE off
endif

# set the default geometry (size/position) used for the VMD command window
if ($?VMD_WINGEOM == "0") then
  setenv VMD_WINGEOM "-geometry 80x11-0-0"
endif

best regards,
        axel.

LR> Kind regards,
LR>
LR>
LR> Luis

Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer                        e-mail: axel.kohlmeyer_at_rub.de
Lehrstuhl fuer Theoretische Chemie          Phone: ++49 (0)234/32-26673
Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum - NC 03/53         Fax:   ++49 (0)234/32-14045
D-44780 Bochum  http://www.theochem.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/~axel.kohlmeyer/