From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 24 2004 - 10:51:02 CDT

Hi,
  There are several differences in the way the HBonds representation
selects HBonds for rendering from the way they'd be selected by
Ahmet's script:
  1) The HBonds rep ignores any atoms that _already_ have bonds defined
     by structure file (PSF). Any atoms that are already "bonded" are
     ignored by the HBonds rep, and no bond will be drawn by this rep.
     (the bond _would_ be drawn by a lines or bonds rep however...)

  2) The HBonds rep only searches atoms that are among the list of
     selected atoms, if one of the two atoms in the HBond isn't
     selected, then the bond will not be drawn.

  3) The candidate bonds have to meet both the distance cutoff and
     angle cutoff criteria. If the angle cutoff isn't met, then the
     bond isn't drawn, even if it's within the correct distance, and
     vice-versa. (well, this should be the same as Ahmet's script actually)

  4) The HBonds rep only considers bonds with atoms that are regognized
     as hydrogens by virtue of their name beginning with "H", or in the
     form "xH" where 'x' is a digit. If this isn't true, then the atom
     is ignored.

I hope that helps clarify what is going on there.