From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon May 23 2022 - 09:51:05 CDT

Hi,
  The X-Windows builds of VMD for Linux will automatically revert to
a text-only mode if the DISPLAY environment variable isn't set, since
this would normally indicate execution on a cluster node or similar
non-graphical environment. So long as you have set DISPLAY correctly
for a viable windowing system, you should be okay.

Best,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/